- Master of Science in Technology with a concentration in Building Science, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
- Bachelor of Science in Interior Design, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
Teaching and Research Interest(s)
- Chelsea’s diverse industry experience in design and construction management has driven her teaching and research interest in co-teaching a nontraditional curricular program, the IDEXlab (Integrative Design Experience Laboratory), a multidisciplinary office/studio which designs, builds and commissions real projects for real clients in the community. The pedagogy and practice implemented into the program provides continued research and investigation into cross-disciplinary project-based learning in higher education.
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA), Member
- Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC), Professional Member
- NCIDQ Certificate No. 34322
- LEED Green Associate
Publication(s) and/or Exhibition(s)
- Russell, J. A., Helms, C. R., Everhart, R. C. & Miller, D. J. (in press). Applying Project Based Learning in an Undergraduate Design and Construction Program at Appalachian State University, Journal of Green Building Fall 2018, College Publishing, (vol. 13, issue 4, pp. 147-165).
- Russell, J. A., Helms, C. R., Everhart, R. C. & Miller, D. J. (in press). Implementation of Project Based Learning in a Building Science Curriculum, Proceedings of the 4th Residential Building Design and Construction Conference, The Pennsylvania Housing Research Center, (issue 4th).
- (Thesis Research) Helms, C. R. & Russell, J. A. “A Sustainable Cost Benefit Assessment of Wall Assemblies from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon 2011,” Sciform, 2nd World Sustainability Forum. [November 2012]
- When not found in the studio or shop, Chelsea will likely be wandering mountain trails and then water coloring to record the views captured along the way.
Photos (left to right): IDEXlab's MOBILab, IDEXlab's mobiLANDING, IDEXlab's HOW space.
Title: Assistant Professor of Interior Design
Department: Department of Applied Design
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-8337